Wednesday, November 18, 2009

BIY - Genesis 24

Here is the first of my daily bible reading journals. The title will be formatted as above with BIY for Bible in a Year along with the verse. This will be my standard format as I read through the bible in a year. I started reading in mid November and am a little behind but I intend to catch up quick.

Things that stood out:
1. Significance of placing a hand under Abraham's thigh to swear an oath?
2. Did the servant have faith in his actions or did he doubt. Did he act out of service and obligation?
3. Laban's blind faith in God's hand in his life
4. Rebekah's blind faith

After a brief list of things that stood out I intend to detail my thoughts on each item

1. What was the significance of placing the hand under someone's thigh. Was it a connection to that person that made the oath more significant? Maybe the act of contacting someone held more significance than it does in today's culture. Today it is an everyday greeting but I imagine then for many reasons that I won't go into detail on (Sanitation Issues, Personal Space, Ritualistic Cleanliness, Priestly Cleanliness, etc...) back then it was likely a much bigger deal. Even in early America, a handshake to close a deal was good as gold for permanence.

2. I find the servants actions quite interesting. I think he acted on blind faith in his master rather then faith in God. Additionaly his actions at the well I envy in way because of how easily he trusted that God would provide. I personally don't do this enough though I have heard God speaking to me lately on an issue. It happened within hours of my prayer! How much simpler would life be if I relied on God more and me less! Not easier necessarily but simpler. The servant at the well seemed not sure on God's direction but knew what to do. He prayed and let God handle it. Good advice for all of us.

3. I liked how Laban said I don't have anything to say, It is God's will. That is faith in God in action.

4. Rebekah showed the same faith as well. Did God speak to them to give them some warning? Who knows but I would bet the answer is yes.

I welcome comments on my musings and on the readings! Come back again soon for more musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment